Thursday, January 3, 2013

My Year in Books, 2012

Compared to so many other year-end list makers, I'm a little late to the game. I love to read Year in Review lists, I like to see what other people are reading, why they read it, if my list has anything in common with theirs. I saw one guy's list on tumblr, and he included shots of the cover of every book he read, and a short review of each book. I'm not doing that, not today anyway, but I might get around to it some other time. For now, here's my list of the books I read in 2012.


Never-Ending Birds, Poetry, David Baker
God is not a Christian, Essays, Desmond Tutu
We the Animals, Fiction, Justin Torres
The Art of Losing, Poetry Anthology, ed. Kevin Young
Drifting House, Fiction, Krys Lee
No One, Autofiction, Gwenaelle Aubry
Useless Landscape, Poetry, D.A.Powell
In Search of Small Gods, Poetry, Jim Harrison
The Day my Mother Left, YA, James Prosek
Tender, Cookbook/Memoir, Nigel Slater
Downstream from Troutfishing in America, Memoir, Keith Abbott
The Outsiders, YA, S.E. Hinton
The Ballad of Ballard and Sandrine, Fiction, Peter Straub
The Shape of the Journey, Poetry, Jim Harrison
The Drowning Girl, Fiction, Caitlin Keirnan
Reading Lolita in Tehran, Memoir, Azar Nafisi
Stardust, Fiction, Neil Gaiman
Prairie Soul, Nature/Memoir, Jeffrey Lockwood
The Hobbit, Fiction, J.R.R. Tolkien
Batman: Year One, Comics, Frank Miller and David Mazuchelli
Daredevil: Reborn, Comics, Frank Miller and David Mazuchelli
Spera, Comics, Josh Tierney and various artists
Legion Lost, Comics, Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning and Olivier Copiel
Madman and The Atomics, Comics, Michael Allred and Laura Allred
Beowulf, a New Telling, Fiction, Robert Nye

You should see the list of books I borrowed from the library but didn't read, though. I have a compulsive borrowing habit. There is probably no way for me to read all the books that catch my eye at the library and find their way home with me. Some of them sit in a pile till they're due, others ride shotgun with me and I read them at red lights or in lines at the bank or grocery store but I never finish them. I'm trying to slow down at the library so I can read the stack of books I actually paid money for, which are gathering dust on the nightstand as I type this. I've got comics to read in every room, issues of Poetry magazine and American Poetry Review in my book bag and under my bed, there are boxes of books in the basement I don't have room for on the shelves in the living room, and several more boxes in my parents' storage unit. I should probably stop working on this blog and get started on this year's Year in Books list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment